I have started a police procedural fact-checking service available to all crime writers setting their work in England or Wales, as Scotland and Ireland have different procedures and laws.
Are you writing a UK-based novel and want to check out some facts before you commit to a procedurally heavy storyline? I can help.
Have you written a UK-based novel and want it checking for its police procedural correctness before you move forward with it? I can help.
I have over 15 years UK policing experience. 7 of those years were in uniform and the rest in a specialist investigative department where I handled multiple, serious and complex investigations myself. I am also in touch with colleagues who still work in the police where I can fact check anything that may have changed since I have left. Nothing stays the same and I acknowledge that, understand it and can work with it.
So, what can I offer and at what cost?
- You can email me a list of questions – £80 an hour broken into 15-minute increments (so if I only take 45 minutes then I only charge for 45 minutes) depending on the number of questions and how detailed a response is needed.
- You can email me your full synopsis with what it is you want me to consider about it (Helpful if plot points turn on procedure.) – £80
- Half an hour Skype chat (visually recorded and you get a digital copy of the recording) – £50
- Synopsis and half hour Skype chat to discuss it (visually recorded and you get a digital copy of the recording) – £120
- Full manuscript read through. No time restrictions applied. Full report provided. – £360 up to 95,000 words. £5 for every 1,000 thereafter.
- (Package) Synopsis plus full manuscript – £400
- (Package) Synopsis, half-hour Skype chat, and full manuscript read through – £430
Please do let anyone know about this service who you think might be interested.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I look forward to reading your questions and your work!
If the above service interests you because you are a crime writer, then the Writing Crime group I have set up may also interest you. It is completely FREE of charge.
If you sign up to the group you will receive a police MG11 statement (a genuine statement paper – I found online) which I have written a statement on, using an incident that occurs at the end of my novella, Three Weeks Dead. So, it’s a genuine statement, authentically written by an ex-detective.
What else will you receive in this group?
Every month I will send you, either;
- Another document I have completed.
- A link to an online document I know will help you.
- Another police document that forms part of a police investigation.
All of these can be printed out and kept in a folder and your folder will grow with policing information that you, as writers, can use, or ignore, as you wish. It is fiction, but having the information means you can make an informed decision.
If you want to be a part of this group and to claim your first item (the completed statement) then go HERE.
I look forward to seeing you in the group and to sending you helpful policing documents to help you with your crime writing!
This is only useful for authors writing English and Welsh crime only I’m afraid.