This post is the first in Alex Cavanaughs wonderful – I’m sure I call it that every month, because it is! – 2013 Insecure Writers Support Group, where fellow bloggers and writers talk once a month about their worries, concerns, or post something supportive. It’s a way of sharing something that is, when it comes down to it, a solo activity.
As mentioned in Monday’s blog post, today is about my looking forward to the year ahead. Considering what I want from a writing career and how to achieve that aim. And when I say career, I say that in the loosest of terms, as I can’t see a point in time when I would be able to give up the day job, but writing is something I intend to do long term.
As things stand at the minute, I’ve completed my first Police Procedural, Crime Fiction novel and it is out in the world looking for representation. I’ve started the next novel in the series with the lead protagonist.
Over the Christmas break period I’ve done some assessing of what it is I actually want to achieve and how I can do that. So in that vein, this post is a positive post, my plan of action for 2013 and one that is completely doable and in the hands of – Well me!
So here is what is going to happen this year. Yes, didn’t I say that positively! Did you like that? Belief. Direction. And the motivation to do it.
- I will continue to submit the manuscript for representation for traditional publishing.
- If this fails, I intend to invest in it, spend money and have it edited.
- I will then publish the novel myself in ebook format.
- If it finds representation, then the previous two steps are void. Obviously not the part about it being edited.
- While waiting for decisions on representation (as we know this is a long and painful process) I will be working on novel two. I will be doing this at a better rate than I have been doing so far.
- I also aim to improve my blogging activity. Making sure I don’t miss any weeks and attempt to make posts regularly.
I feel that I have allowed myself to just float for several months and I need to take a real grip of my own life and make decisions that are what I want. The small print of this plan state that all points are subject to change. The only change likely to occur though will be keeping the blogging regular, depending on fatigue issues. I do feel motivated though and I think with a little planning and organisation, I should be able to keep to this plan of action and when I am blogging, I will of course be discussing how the plan is going!
As I’ve said in the past. I write. I want readers to read, and hopefully enjoy my work. Publishing myself is a perfectly viable option and one that will work well for me.
Here’s to a positive 2013. What do you have planned?